The Government of Canada is offering point-of-sale incentives of up to $5,000 for eligible purchases or leases of battery-electric, hydrogen fuel cell, and longer-range plug-in hybrid vehicles. $2,500 is available for shorter range plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.
To be eligible for the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles program, you have to purchase or lease:
- a vehicle with six seats or fewer, where the base model (trim) Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $45,000;
- higher-priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $55,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
- a vehicle with seven seats or greater, where the base model MSRP is less than $55,000;
- higher-priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $60,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
For more information, please visit Transport Canada’s program page.
Available in Ontario:
Used EV Incentive – $1,000
EV drivers in Ontario qualify for $1,000 toward the purchase of a used fully electric vehicle. This incentive is brought to you by Plug’n Drive, in collaboration with Clean Air Partnership, and made possible through the financial support of the M.H. Brigham Foundation.
There are 3 important steps to claiming this incentive:
Step 1: Attend a Used EV Seminar
This seminar is free to attend and covers an overview of Canada’s EV industry, the advantages of electric transportation and things to watch out for when shopping for a used EV. You’ll receive a certificate for attending, which is required to claim your incentive (see Step 3).
Step 2: Purchase a used EV
All used fully electric cars with a re-sale sticker price below $50,000 CDN qualify. Company and fleet vehicles are not covered under this program. You can purchase your EV from any country, province, website, dealership or private seller, so long as you register and insure it in Ontario.
Step 3: Claim Your Incentive
Email a copy of the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Bill of Sale
- Proof of Insurance
- Vehicle Registration
- Seminar Certificate (emailed to you after the seminar – see Step 1)
For more information, please visit Plug N’ Drive’s Used EV incentive page.
Scrappage Incentive – $1,000
Recycle your old gas car and replace it with a used electric car to receive another $1,000 off your purchase!
EV drivers in Ontario who receive the Used EV Incentive, which qualifies all Ontario drivers for $1,000 off the purchase of a used fully electric car (see above), can also receive the $1,000 Scrappage Incentive by recycling their old gas car. Stacking these programs is encouraged, which combine for up to $2,000 toward the purchase of a used EV!
Plug’n Drive, in collaboration with Clean Air Partnership, and made possible thanks to the support of the M. H. Brigham Foundation brings you the Scrappage Incentive program.
1. You must be eligible for, and apply to, and be approved by the Used EV Incentive program.
2. You must scrap an old internal combustion engine driven vehicle that is operable and insured in Ontario under your name for at least 6 months, via Car Heaven.
For more information, please visit: Plug N’ Drive’s Scrappage Incentive page.
Outside of Ontario
The Canadian Automobile Association website features a handy map of electric vehicle incentives by province across Canada.
Available in Quebec