Want to enjoy a more comfortable and climate-friendly home? You’ve come to the right place!
Better Homes Ottawa is a one-stop for Ottawa residents to help us make our homes more energy-efficient and climate-friendly. Here, you’ll find all you need to navigate your home energy retrofit, including:
- How, why, and where to start to retrofit your home for energy savings
- Programs, incentives, and rebates to help you get the work done
- Services to support you to choose the right home improvements for your home, and get them done well
- Information on deep retrofits, what that means, and why it matters for Ottawa and your home
Why is home energy efficiency important?
Here are the facts:
- The City of Ottawa declared a climate emergency in 2019, as did the Government of Canada. Our City is committed to accelerating local efforts to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
- Homes and buildings produce almost half of the greenhouse gas emissions in Ottawa today.
- To meet our emissions reduction targets here in Ottawa, 98% of existing homes must undergo a deep retrofit by 2040. That’s around 327,000 homes, and works out to around 20,000 homes per year!
- An energy-efficient home is healthier to live in, more resilient, more climate-friendly, and reduces both money spent on energy, and energy used. Home energy retrofits also create good, local, green jobs. It’s win-win-win-win-win for Ottawa.